Associate Vice Chancellor for National Security and Special Research Initiatives
Professor, Department of Statistics
North Carolina State University
Office: 267 Poulton Innovation Center
Dr. Alyson Wilson is the Associate Vice Chancellor for National Security and Special Research Initiatives at North Carolina State University. She is also a professor in the Department of Statistics and Principal Investigator for the Laboratory for Analytic Sciences. Her areas of expertise include statistical reliability, Bayesian methods, and the application of statistics to problems in defense and national security. Dr. Wilson is a leader in developing transformative models for rapid innovation in defense and intelligence.
Prior to joining NC State, Dr. Wilson was a jointly appointed research staff member at the IDA Science and Technology Policy Institute and Systems and Analyses Center (2011-2013); associate professor in the Department of Statistics at Iowa State University (2008-2011); Scientist 5 and technical lead for Department of Defense Programs in the Statistical Sciences Group at Los Alamos National Laboratory (1999-2008); and senior statistician and operations research analyst with Cowboy Programming Resources (1995-1999). She is currently serving on the National Academy of Sciences Committee on Applied and Theoretical Statistics and on the Board of Trustees for the National Institute of Statistical Sciences. Dr. Wilson is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and an elected member of the International Statistics Institute.
Awards and Honors
- North Carolina American Statistical Association Senior Statistician Award, 2019
- American Statistical Association Section on Statistics in Defense and National Security Distinguished Achievement Award, 2018
- North Carolina State University Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award, 2017
- Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2015
- Army Wilks Memorial Award, 2015
- Elected Member of the International Statistical Institute, 2012
- Department of Energy Defense Programs Award of Excellence, Stockpile Stewardship Program (2009) and Core Surveillance Transformation (2007)
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association, 2008
- Savage Dissertation Award in Bayesian Statistics, 1995